“After Practice - Earl Crabbe”
Artist: James Geddes

This is an artist print with  either a 16x20 or 12x16 black matting.
Matting is removable if you desire another color.

5x7 prints, magnets and ornaments share this design

5x7 Prints, Magnets and Ornaments 12 x16  and 9x12 prints mounted and matted
Choice of Sizes

After Practice, Earl Crabbe Gym

This sketch has been simmering for a number of months. Randall Fee
and I have collaborated on this Earl Crabbe Gym showcase as the
renovation of the gym nears. Randall and I wanted to create a visualization
of a typical day after practice from the prospective of the students.
Giving rides to teammates in the back of our pickup trucks. Your
gal tying her scarf around your neck and getting a kiss that brings
hoots and howls from the guys. Two Block P players toss the ball back
and forth over a couple cute girls in hopes of getting a smile. Of course,
there were always a few guys always making out with the girls... just out of
sight of Uncle Ralph and Earl Crabbe. “Mickey” was always by
Ralph's side and apparently, he is making sure Earl is listening!

The Crabbe was built in 1936 at a cost of $85,000. It was patterned after
the old Harmon Gym at Cal-Berkeley. It was known as Placer College Gym
and Agard Street Gym during the 1940s before it was ultimately named in 1951 to
honor the legendary basketball coach, Earl Crabbe.

Bent bars on the windows above the bleachers were an indication
of the students who used to break into the gym to play basketball
on weekends.  (Not Me ,-)  Jugo Covich remembers when kids would
routinely climb the rafters and chalk or paint their names under the dark
wooden ceiling.

The building originally housed the district bus fleet below the
gym floor. Later, part of the downstairs was converted to the Cadet
Corp rifle range. With the demise of the corps at Placer, the rifle team was
discontinued and the area was converted to showers and the football locker room.

Before the California Interscholastic Federation playoffs existed,
the famed Kendall Arnett Tournament marked the end of basketball season.
“You’d invite the best teams you could,” Covich said. “We’d start the
 tournament at 8 in the morning and go till 11 o’clock at night. Everybody played
four games. The first games were five-minute quarters, then they went to seven, then to
eight. Bring your lunch and stay all day.” The tournament still fills the gym to
capacity each winter. “It was so big. You don’t have the rooting sections now like you
used to have. Capacity-wise, we did all right. I never paid much attention to the
fire marshal, I just used to fill it up.”

Excerpts from Eric Gourley, Journal Sports Writer

James Geddes