“Congregational Church on High Street”
Artist: James Geddes
This is an artist print with either a 16x20 or 12x16 black matting.
Matting is removable if you desire another color.
5x7 prints, magnets and ornaments share this design
5x7 Prints, Magnets and Ornaments
12 x16 and 9x12 prints mounted and matted
Choice of Sizes: Order 5x7, 9x12, 16x20, magnet or ornaments Here
5x7 Art Print -mounted and ready for 5x7 frame FREE Shipping $15.00 USD
9x12 Art Print - Mat for 12x16 frame - Free Shipping $39.95 USD
12x16 Art Print - Mat for 16x20 frame - Free Shipping $69.95 USD
2.5X3.5 Sketch in protective magnetic sleeve $4.95 USD
Ornament sketch 2.5x3.5 on rich black mat signed by James $5.95 USD
ALL ORDERS ARE SHIPPED FREE OF CHARGE
Congregational Church on High Street
This sketch is of High Street in the 1930’s. To orientate you,
let’s identify a few landmarks. First in the distance is
Placer High School. The Texaco station replaced the
Congregational Church in the 1930’s and the church was
moved around in back of the station. This is all across the
street from the old Auburn City Hall, now The Placer
County Visitor’s Bureau.
The original photo reference indicates there was a
produce/eggs etc business in a home on High Street
across from the Texaco. I believe the delivery panel
in the foreground of the sketch was owned by Keenan
who eventually went into the grocery business with
Williams and they had a grocery store in the building along
side the old opera house.
The Congregational church minister realized that they needed
their own church and the members bought a lot on the corner of
Broad and High Streets in 1879. By March 31, 1883, the first service
was conducted in a church. The Broad Street location was a
mud bog in the Winter and the church was referred to as
“The Swamp Angel.” In spite of the location, the church
continued to grow, adding a Guild Hall and a Parsonage.
The Texaco station was built 1931 where the Congregational Church
had stood on the square. The Church was moved down
High Street behind the Texaco where it is shown in this sketch.
“Fred” Morgan was the original owner of the
“Morgan’s Texaco Super Service” but stepped
away from the business after a serious illness around 1940.
While a series of owners would continue to
operate the station through the 1950s.
Placer Savings tore down the Texaco in the early 1960’s
to construct the bank building. The church and parsonage were
sold in 1962 and the church moved to their new location off
Ravine Road where they still conduct services. While building
Placer Savings, the original old stairs to the entry
of the church were unearthed. The entry way had sunk
several feet in the bog mud.